Waynesburg University will host its tenth annual Relay for Life Sunday, April 9, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the University’s Johnson Commons. The public is invited to attend and participate in the scheduled activities throughout the day.
Relay for Life is the signature fundraiser for the American Cancer Society (ACS). All of the monies collected from Waynesburg’s event will stay within Greene County to benefit programs such as cancer research, Road to Recovery, ACS Hope Lodge, one-on-one peer support, cancer prevention and assistance with the 24-hour ACS hotline.
“The purpose of this event is to educate and promote awareness about cancer,” said Kelley Hardie, assistant dean of student services. “It is also an event to honor those that lost their lives to cancer and those who have survived the brave battle.”
The theme of this year’s event is “Kick Cancer Off the Board,” and the goal is to raise $15,000.
Activities will include an opening ceremony featuring President Douglas G. Lee, lip sync battle, survivorship hour, pie a professor and luminaria ceremony, among others.
The 2017 Relay for Life officers are:
- President: Allison Cote, senior early childhood/special education major from Brewer, Maine (Brewer High School)
- Vice President: Nicole Zimmel, senior early childhood/special education major from Slippery Rock (Slippery Rock Area High School)
- Education Chair: Kristen Wilson, senior chemistry/secondary education major from Washington (Washington High School)
- Community Chair: Brandon Bosley, senior biology (pre-dental/medical/veterinary) major from Edwardsville (Champion High School
- Publicity Chair: Lindsay Orzechowski, senior digital design major from Erie (Fort LeBoeuf High School)
Founded in 1849 by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Waynesburg University is located on a traditional campus in the hills of southwestern Pennsylvania, with three additional sites located in the Pittsburgh region. The University is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and is one of only 21 Bonner Scholar schools in the country, offering local, regional and international opportunities to touch the lives of others through service.
# # #
Ashley Wise, Associate Director of University Relations
724-852-7675 or email@example.com