During Waynesburg University’s fall break, six students will serve on a Greene County Immersion service trip. Led by Kelley Hardie, assistant dean of Student Services, the students will serve with seven community organizations in Greene County from Sunday, Oct. 16, through Friday, Oct. 21.
Students will work with 2nd Sam 9, Communities that Care, Corner Cupboard Food Bank, Greater Waynesburg Christian Outreach, Greene County Historical Society, St. Ann’s Good Neighbor Dinner Program and West Sides Youth Group.
As the students attend to community needs throughout the week, Hardie hopes they will decide to continue serving at one or more of the organizations even after the trip has ended.
“I love this trip because it provides students with the opportunity to volunteer locally and gives a wide range of service opportunities,” said Hardie. “The intention of this service trip is to stretch students outside of their comfort zones and hopefully fall in love with one of the service sites.”
Students participating in the trip include:
- Austin Anderson, senior communication (sports broadcasting/information) major from Elgin, Ill. (Westminster Christian School)
- Alex Coleman, junior biblical ministry studies (children and youth) major from Summerville (Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School)
- Brad Gillespie, junior psychology major from Glenshaw (Shaler Area High School)
- Nicholas Lies, sophomore English (creative writing) major from Pittsburgh (Mount Lebanon High School)
- Grace Sumney, sophomore nursing major from Bentleyville (Bentworth Senior High School)
- Elizabeth White, senior psychology major from Ben Avon (Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School)
Founded in 1849 by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Waynesburg University is located on a traditional campus in the hills of southwestern Pennsylvania, with three additional sites located in the Pittsburgh region. The University is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and is one of only 21 Bonner Scholar schools in the country, offering local, regional and international opportunities to touch the lives of others through service.
# # #
Ashley Wise, Associate Director of University Relations
724-852-7675 or email@example.com