As a senior at Waynesburg University, family and friends often ask me if I like attending Waynesburg. My answer is typically a resounding yes. Not only have I enjoyed my time at Waynesburg, I would also recommend Waynesburg to high school students beginning their college search. Here are 5 reasons why.
- You will build meaningful relationships with your professors and just about anyone else on campus. This is the number one reason I love Waynesburg. My professors don’t just know my name; they know my strengths and interests. They truly care about my success and demonstrate their concern by investing time in me. My professors have assisted me with resume building, academic planning and career counseling; however, professors aren’t the only faculty members that offer students support. I’m often given hugs from cafeteria workers, comedic relief from security guards and smiles from administrative staff. Waynesburg is a relationship-centered institution, and that is proven each day from the actions of faculty and staff.
- You can’t skip class. Of course you are allotted three unexcused absences before your grade is affected, but class attendance is arguably more than highly encouraged, it is mandatory. While some people may think I am crazy for viewing this as a pro, I view attendance checks as a positive aspect of attending a small school. Because my absence is recognizable, I am encouraged to take full advantage of my education by attending each class.
- Class engagement is encouraged. At Waynesburg, you will never sit in a large auditorium being lectured for an hour. You will have small classes in which you will be encouraged to participate. My classmates and I often ‘interrupt’ class to ask a question or share our opinion on the topic we are discussing; however, our interjections are never frowned upon, they are welcomed. I enjoy participating in a learning environment in which my input is valuable and my questions and concerns are always met with suggestions and solutions.
- Everything is within walking distance. This may be true of other small colleges, but I believe it is especially true of Waynesburg. My commute to class from my dorm is never longer than five minutes. The same goes for my trips to my club meetings, work-study job, the gym, library or cafeteria. This means that even if I am running late (which is often), it is easy to get to where I need to be on time, and if I forget something in my dorm, it is never a pain to simply return to my dorm between classes to retrieve the forgotten item. I love the gorgeous campus landscape that allows for easy walkability, despite all the hills!
- You will be positioned to succeed in your courses. With extremely accessible professors, free tutoring and writing services, you will have multiple resources to help you succeed in your courses. While transitioning from high school to college is difficult, attending a school like Waynesburg eased my transition. My class size in high school was similar to that of my class size at Waynesburg, eliminating the overwhelming aspect of adapting to a new learning environment. In fact, in my time at Waynesburg, I have improved my GPA since high school, which is something not many people can say. This is due in part to the individualized attention that I receive from my professors. If I am ever struggling, I know I can turn to my professors to offer guidance and support.