Twenty Waynesburg University students will spend Thursday, Jan. 2, to Saturday, Jan. 11, serving at a nutritional center in Patzun, Guatemala. Pat Bristor, associate dean of students at the University, and Heidi Szuminsky, director of donor and alumni relations at Waynesburg, will lead the team. While at the center, students will spend time with the residents, as well as assist with the replacement of a driveway at the facility.
Five Waynesburg University students who have participated in the trip in past years chose to book flights for Friday, Dec. 13, so they would have extra time with the children. That group will spend their entire Christmas break in Guatemala.
Kyle Digiandomenico, a junior psychology major from Martins Ferry, Ohio (Bridgeport High School); Gracious Shavers, a junior human services major from Ginowan City, Japan (Zion Christian Academy); Ryan Smith, a junior international culture major from Bridgeport, Ohio (Bridgeport High School); Rachel Snavely, a sophomore biblical ministries studies major from Manheim, Pa. (Manheim Central High School); and Julie Wise, a junior criminal justice administration major from Fowler, Ohio (Mathews High School) will travel to Guatemala early.
“They’ve been there before and are very passionate about ministry,” Bristor said. “They’ve decided to go down early on their own. Heidi and I will bring the rest of the 15 in January.”
According to Bristor, out of the 20 students who are attending, nine are returning for the second or even third time.
“Waynesburg students are very passionate about the Guatemala trip and the people of Guatemala,” she said. “Our main goal at this point is to finish the driveway but also to provide love and spread the word of God.”
Additional students participating in the trip include:
- Kimber Blair, a senior public relations major from New Castle, Pa. (Laurel Junior-Senior High School)
- Northe Campbell-Escalante, a junior public relations major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (Woodland Hills High School)
- Heidi Dains, a freshman business management major from Clarksville, Pa. (Jefferson Morgan High School)
- Joshua Dains, a junior business management major from Clarksville, Pa. (Jefferson Morgan High School)
- Chelsea Dicks, a junior journalism major from Jerfferson, Pa. (Jefferson Morgan High School)
- Sara Faiad, a junior psychology major from South Fork, Pa. (Forest Hills High School)
- Alana Fiano, a senior education major from Connellsville, Pa. (Connellsville Area Senior High School)
- Amelia Graves, a freshman international business major from West Falls, NY (Orchard Park High School)
- Sarah Kirk, a sophomore nursing major from Valencia, Pa. (Plum Senior High School)
- Nina Manderick, a junior biblical and ministry studies major from South Connellsville, Pa. (Connellsville Area Senior High School)
- Jennifer Miller, a sophomore biology major from New Brighton, Pa. (New Brighton Area Senior High School)
- Emily Nowakowski, a freshman nursing major from Bridgeport, Ohio (Bridgeport High School)
- Cherylynn Shird, a senior sociology major from Washington, D.C. (Kamit Institute for Magnificent Achievers Public Charter School)
- Steven Snow, a senior criminal justice major from Butler, Pa. (Knoch Senior High School)
- Erika Stafford, a senior psychology major from Orrvile, Ohio (Orrville High School)
# # #
Contact: Ashley Wise, Communication Specialist