Sixteen Waynesburg University Nursing students will travel to Nassau, Bahamas, to assist with operations of a health clinic for Haitian refugees during the University’s Christmas break. The students will spend Sunday, Jan. 5, through Friday, Jan.10, at the Victory Chapel Church of the Nazarene in Nassau, where they will work with Mission Academy Ministries, an organization dedicated to serving Bahamian and Haitian communities.
Dr. Terri Small, professor of nursing at the University, will lead the trip, along with her husband, Steve, a pharmacist, and Wendy Edgar, a nurse practitioner and lecturer in the University’s nursing department. The team will work with Dr. Antoine St. Louis, pastor of Victory Chapel Church of the Nazarene, and Mike Shinn, director of Mission Academy Ministries.
“We look forward to assisting Mission Academy Ministries as they provide much needed services to communities who would otherwise have no access to health care,” Small said.
This will be the University’s fourth partnership with Mission Academy Ministries and seventh nursing mission trip. On average, University students and faculty care for 100 patients per day during the three-day clinic. Patients are provided medications and education for chronic health conditions such as hypertension and diabetes, as well as receive treatment and care for immediate health issues such as bronchitis, colds and coughs, ear infections and pneumonia.
Students attending the trip include:
- Taylor Basinger, a junior nursing major from Confluence, Pa. (Turkeyfoot Valley Area High School)
- Katelyn Blaich, a senior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (Bishop Canevin High School)
- Melissa Brown, a junior nursing major from Perryopolis, Pa. (Frazier High School)
- Myriah Cox, a senior nursing major from Mount Morris, Pa. (Waynesburg Central High School)
- Maggie Getaz, a senior nursing major from Winchester, Va. (John Handley High School)
- Rachel Handley, a senior nursing major from Dillsburg, Pa. (Christian Liberty Academy)
- Kiersha Keller, a senior nursing major from Palmyra, Pa. (Northern Lebanon High School)
- Kathryn Kish, a junior nursing major from Liberty Boro, Pa. (South Allegheny High School)
- Katy Jo Kramer, a senior nursing major from North Versailles, Pa. (East Allegheny High School)
- Alexis Lapinsky, a nursing major from Windber, Pa. (Windber Area High School)
- Jessica Loftus, a senior nursing major from Charleroi, Pa. (Wilson Christian Academy)
- Shayla Mitrik, a senior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (North Catholic High School)
- Melissa Paul, a senior nursing major from Garrett, Pa. (Berlin Brothers Valley High School)
- Lily Smith, a second degree nursing major from Lake View, N.Y. (Frontier Senior High School)
- Maria Wisniewski, a junior nursing major from Irwin, Pa. (Penn-Trafford High School)
- Danielle Zeiler, a junior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pa. (Brashear High School)
# # #
Contact: Ashley Wise, Communication Specialist