Waynesburg University will welcome alumni, staff, faculty and students to its annual Homecoming celebration Friday, Oct. 7, and Saturday, Oct. 8. The weekend festivities will include a variety of events that invite both alumni and current students’ participation.
During the two-day celebration, alumni will be invited to participate in athletic events, a reception with President and Mrs. Douglas G. Lee, a 5K run and walk, campus tours and more, including 10 class reunions.
The fifth annual JacketFest will also take place during Homecoming; it is a family-friendly event featuring booths, activities and giveaways from a number of student clubs and organizations.
“It is fun to see alumni share their Waynesburg memories with their families and friends,” said Mary Fox, event planner for the University. “Current students will be creating memories that will become part of their Waynesburg story.”
Homecoming 2016 will celebrate 40 years of remote TV productions and the 20th anniversary of the Department of Communication. An open house will be held and tours of the department will be available, including a tour of the TV production truck during the second half of the Homecoming football game.
Waynesburg will also honor the 50th anniversary of the undefeated 1966 NAIA National Championship football team during the weekend. The team, with 11 wins in all, earned the best record in school history, the West Penn Conference crown and the Washington, D.C., Touchdown Club’s choice as the number one small college team in the nation.
“I have been working with some of the 1966 team members, and they are very eager to reunite for the weekend activities, including spending time with the current Yellow Jacket squad,” said Fox.
The University encourages alumni to reconnect with friends and network with fellow Waynesburg alumni as the campus celebrates Homecoming 2016.
For a complete schedule of events, visit www.waynesburgunited.com/homecoming16.
The Homecoming 2016 Weekend schedule:
Friday, Oct. 7
- 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. – President’s Reception at President and Mrs. Lee’s home (reservations required)
- 7 p.m. – All Alumni Celebration at The Greene County Country Club, where alumni will celebrate reunion years (reservations suggested)
Saturday, Oct. 8
- 8:30 a.m. – Waynesburg University Homecoming 5k Run and Walk. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. in the Goodwin Performing Arts Center.
- 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. – 1966 Championship Team Breakfast with 1966/2016 football team meeting to follow (reservations suggested)
- 10 a.m. – Women’s Tennis Match vs. Fairmont State University
- 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – All Alumni Check In at Johnson Commons or John F. Wiley Stadium
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – JacketFest in Johnson Commons. Bring your family and explore the unique offering of Waynesburg University clubs and organizations.
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Come-and-Go-Brunch in Benedum Dining Hall
- 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – A Celebration of Communication at WU held on the fourth floor of Buhl for an Open House and tours of the television production truck at Wiley Stadium.
- 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. – Class of 1965 Brunch with President and Mrs. Lee at their home (reservations required)
- Prior to Kick-Off – We will recognize the undefeated 1966 NAIA National Championship Football Team on the field at John F. Wiley Stadium.
- 1:30 p.m. –Football Game: Waynesburg University Yellow Jackets vs. Geneva College Golden Tornadoes at John F. Wiley Stadium
- Halftime – Alumni Tent at the Back Gate
- Post-Game – 5th Quarter Steak Cookout at the back gate of the John F. Wiley Stadium (reservations required)
# # #
Ashley Wise, Associate Director of University Relations
724-852-7675 or email@example.com