February 9, 1796 — Greene County was established when Washington County was divided into two Counties through an act of the Legislature. The southern portion became Greene County, named after General Nathanael Greene and consisted of 578 square miles. Waynesburg, the county seat, named for Major General Anthony Wayne, was laid out in 1796, and incorporated as a borough on January 29, 1816.