There will be a mandatory informational meeting for main campus bachelor's degree candidates on Thursday, May 2, 2013, at 3:00 p.m. in the Goodwin Performing Arts Center. Following this meeting, at 4:00 p.m., there will be a presentation of the senior class gift to President Thyreen with a brief reception in Johnson Commons.
Graduate and Professional Studies candidates (AACE, RN-BSN, BML, master's and doctoral) are exempt from the campus meeting on May 2, 2013.
Caps, Gowns & Announcements
- The bookstore will be sponsoring a "Grad Fair" from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on March 27th to kick off the 2013 Commencement season. Caps and gowns may be picked up at the Waynesburg University Bookstore beginning that day. Caps and gowns will be available through May 19th during normal bookstore hours. Early pick-up insures best selection of size availability. Graduates must show a University ID card or driver's license at the time of pick up.
- You may reserve your cap and gown online or go directly to the WU Bookstore to pick it up. Regalia may be picked up beginning March 27, 2013. Please bring your WU student ID or your driver's license when picking up your packet.
- DNP candidates may choose to purchase upgraded quality regalia from Herff-Jones. Please contact the bookstore directly at 724.852.2665. These orders require eligibility verification by the Registrar's Office and 6-8 weeks for delivery.
- Announcements for graduation may also be ordered through the University Bookstore. For additional information, visit the University Bookstore or call 724.852.2665. Allow eight weeks for delivery.
- Many other graduation and memorabilia items, such as diploma frames and University logo items, are available through the bookstore and online.
- The University Bookstore will be open on Commencement Day, Sunday, May 19, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Directions, Maps, Parking
The University has adopted the following policy on acceptable honor cords for graduation ceremonies.
Waynesburg University wishes to preserve the dignity of the graduation ceremonies for all students while appropriately recognizing students who have earned academic honors. To that end, the following guidelines have been established.
Only cords may be worn and only cords that are:
- Issued by the Waynesburg University Office of the Registrar, the Waynesburg University Honors Academy (WUHA), or approved national collegiate honorary societies with a local chapter and a Waynesburg University faculty sponsor
- Based on academic performance by the student wearing them
The Provost must approve all national collegiate honorary societies and any exceptions to this policy in advance of graduation ceremonies.
DISPLAY OF ACADEMIC HONORS:
Only cords and Academic Excellence pins shall be worn on the robe during the ceremonies. No other pins or decorations are to be displayed on either the cap or gown. Graduates are not permitted to carry or wear flowers during the ceremonies. ANY DEPARTMENTAL RECOGNITION CORDS, SASHES, MEDALS, ETC. ARE PERMITTED ONLY AT THE ACADEMIC HONORS CEREMONY IN APRIL.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE WITH HONORS:
Bachelor's degrees with honors are conferred in accordance with the following cumulative grade point averages on work completed at Waynesburg University. These designations apply only to candidates for the bachelor's degree who have completed 60 or more graded credit hours of work at Waynesburg University.
Cum Laude 3.500 - 3.659
Magna Cum Laude 3.660 - 3.899
Summa Cum Laude 3.900 - 4.000
Students in adult programs earning less than 60 credit hours at Waynesburg University are honored by the designation of Academic Excellence in Adult Programs and receive a lapel pin bearing such designation. This pin is worn on the graduation robe at Commencement exercises.
Honor cords that represent the Latin honors and Academic Excellence pins may be obtained in the foyer of the Gymnasium immediately following Baccalaureate until just prior to Commencement line-up at 1:00 p.m. Other cords (i.e., WUHA, national collegiate honorary society) approved in accordance with the above policy should be distributed by the program director or faculty sponsor in advance of graduation ceremonies.
GRADUATE STUDENT HONORS:
Master's and doctoral degree programs are not eligible for honors designations.
- Guests should come prepared for all weather conditions, including rain and hot sun.
- Tickets are not required to attend Commencement services held outdoors on Miller Hall lawn. This is always the first choice location for the services. Services will only be moved indoors should conditions require. This decision will be made the day of services based on weather and ground conditions.
- Should a decision be made to move the ceremony indoors due to inclement weather, notice will be immediately posted on our website's main page and a text message will be sent through our "E2Campus" emergency response notification system.
- In case of inclement weather, Commencement will be held in the Marisa Fieldhouse. Because of the size of the graduating class and the limited space, tickets will be issued for admittance. Each graduate is allotted two (2) guest tickets for the Marisa Fieldhouse. NO additional tickets will be available.
- Due to aisle restrictions to comply with fire codes, no strollers will be permitted in the Marisa Fieldhouse.
- Guests without tickets may view the ceremony on closed circuit TV in the Goodwin Performing Arts Center, Alumni Hall (in Miller Hall), or Roberts Chapel. (See campus map).
Any late-arriving graduate must report to the Gymnasium for further instructions from a representative from the Office of the Registrar. Once the Commencement procession begins, it is not interrupted. A late arrival will be seated at the end of the procession and will receive his/her diploma following all other degree candidates.
Graduate's Luncheon: Tickets are Required
Inclement Weather: Tickets are Required
Tickets are not required to attend Commencement services held on Miller Hall lawn. This is always the first choice location for the services. Services will only be moved indoors should the conditions require. This decision will be made the day of services based on weather and ground conditions.
In case of inclement weather, Commencement will be held in the Marisa Fieldhouse. Because of the size of the graduating class and the limited space, tickets will be issued for admittance. Each graduate is allotted two (2) guest tickets for the Fieldhouse. Tickets will be included with your cap and gown package available at the bookstore. NO additional tickets will be available. (See "Inclement weather" above.)
Special Needs Participants
- An interpreter for the deaf will sign all services.
- For guests with special needs, see the "Parent/Guest Information" page.
Live Feed - Streaming Online Viewing
- Family members and friends who are unable to attend the Commencement ceremony may view the ceremony live over the Internet. Coverage will begin at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, May 19, 2013.
- Please visit www.waynesburg.edu and click the 'Commencement Live Video link' the day of Commencement (the button will be located in place of the 'Commencement Information' button).