Preparing for Commencement
Waynesburg University holds one Commencement service each year in May. Graduates from all semesters receive their diplomas at this ceremony.
Your planning for graduation should begin 6 to 12 months prior to your final semester of classes.
Pre-Graduation To-Do List
- Verify graduation deadlines for the University. Check the “Getting Started” page on this site.
- Review your academic plan with your advisor. If you should find any discrepancies, please contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information.
- Update your local and permanent addresses with the Registrar's Office at 724-852-3252 to ensure you receive all pertinent information without delay. Check these address(es) for mail as well as your WU e-mail on a regular basis.
- Any financial obligations you have (fees, tickets, fines, etc.) must be paid before Commencement. You will not receive your diploma and may not order transcripts or have other documents released if you have unresolved financial obligations to the University.
- Any HOLDS must be removed prior to graduation in order to receive your diploma. If there is a hold on your account, contact the specific department that placed the hold (i.e. Business Office, Student Services, Athletics, Library, etc.).
- Use this website to answer all of your questions regarding Commencement. Graduating students may receive Commencement-related information via email in the February preceding graduation. Additional information is available online at www.waynesburg.edu/web/commencement
- Start the job search process at least 6 months prior to your final semester of coursework. Check the Career Services "Senior Checklist." You can also visit the Career Services Office or website.
- Visit the WU Bookstore for your graduation announcements, University ring, and various memorabilia items. You may also call the bookstore at 724.852.2665.
- To order your cap & gown, etc. click here. Orders are available after the WU Bookstore's "Grad Fair" in March.
- DNP candidates may choose to purchase upgraded quality regalia from Herff-Jones. Please contact the bookstore directly at 724.852.2665 to inquire. These orders require 6 - 8 weeks for delivery.
- Any graduate with special needs (such as visual, auditory, and/or mobility) who will require reasonable accommodations to participate in the Commencement service(s), please contact Laura Lawrence at 724.852.3251 or email email@example.com. Requests should preferably be made a minimum of one week prior to Commencement to allow time to arrange for the accommodations.
- Contact the Student Services Office for your exit interview at 724.852.3206 (main campus undergraduate students)
- Should your plans to graduate change, notify the Registrar’s Office at 724.852.3389
- Commencement Attendance Policy – The Board of Trustees requires prospective graduates to be present at Commencement exercises to receive a degree. Anyone who has a valid reason for release from this obligation, however, must petition the Board of Trustees, through the Office of the Registrar. You may submit a petition to be excused online. Or, address your written request to: Office of the Registrar, Waynesburg University, 51 West College Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370; or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have borrowed funds through either the Federal Direct and/or the Perkins Loan Program, you are required to complete Exit Loan Counseling.
- Be sure to stay up-to-date with your alma mater by becoming a member of Waynesburg United -- the University’s online community. Here you can sign up for alumni events, find University news, network with other alumni and much more! Click here to sign up today!
- The University’s Alumni Relations site is also a great place to access alumni resources such as meeting the staff, finding ways to support your alma mater and requesting transcripts.
- Complete the Career Services Placement Survey.
- See the services available to alumni through our Career Services Office