You are here : Conducting Symposium
CONDUCTING SYMPOSIUM REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL JANUARY 25, 2013
Please join us for the 7th Annual Waynesburg University Conducting Symposium! We hope you will choose to be a part of the continued growth of the WU Music Program. Serving as the clinician for the weekend of February 1-2, 2013 is Mr. Loras Schissel, Conductor of the Cleveland Symphonic Winds-Blossom Festival Band and the Virginia Grand Military Band, and Senior Musicologist at the Library of Congress.
We are honored to have Mr. Schissel on our campus for what will prove to be a beneficial weekend of music-making! The Lecture Session topics look tremendous:
· Hearing a Score and Making It Come Alive in Rehearsal/Concert
· Repertoire: The Meat and Potatoes of Music Education
· Bringing the Percussion Section Indoors
· Behold, the Lowly March!
A few changes are taking place for this year’s event:
1. Location: The Marsh Center (lower floor of the new Robert’s Chapel) is the Waynesburg University Symphonic Band’s new rehearsal space.
2. Clinic Band: The Clinic Band will consist of members of the Waynesburg Symphonic Band and the North Suburban Symphonic Band. High school students are welcome to join us as Observers.
3. Repertoire: Scores for Conducting Fellows and Observers are available at www.volkweinsmusic.com or call 1-800-553-8742, ext. 603. Please let them know you will be participating in the 2013 WU Conducting Symposium. (Note: We are no longer providing perusal copies of scores.)
4. Conducting Spots: We only have ten conducting spots, so contact me soon to guarantee this part of your educational experience.
The basic schedule for Friday is 8 am-9 pm and Saturday from 8 am-5 pm. We will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner on Friday, as well as breakfast and lunch on Saturday. There is hotel information listed at www.waynesburg.edu. For students, we offer an overnight stay with our Symphonic Band members in their luxurious dorm rooms. You will want to make lodging arrangements as soon as possible to ensure accommodations.
I am looking forward to the weekend! As always, contact me if I can be of further assistance!
Ronda E. DePriest, D. A.
Director of the Music Program