Who We Are
Waynesburg University educates students to make connections between faith, learning and serving so that they might faithfully transform their communities and the world. As a Christian comprehensive University, we strive to inspire and challenge every undergraduate and graduate student to a life of leadership and purpose for the glory of God.
What You Need to Know
- We're a private, nonprofit Christian university founded in 1849 by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
- We're a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
- Our motto is Fiat Lux, or "Let There Be Light."
- Our main campus is located in Waynesburg, Pa. We also have three adult centers in Monroeville, Seven Fields and Southpointe.
- Our 81 full-time and 180 part-time faculty members create a student/faculty ratio of 13:1.
- Our average class size is 25 students.
- We have a ratio of 49 percent men to 51 percent women.
- Our top areas of study are business, communication, criminal justice, education, forensic science and nursing.
- We're one of only 23 institutions in the country to offer the Bonner Scholar Program, which provides approximately 15 community service scholarships to Waynesburg students each year.
What We're Known For
- We're one of the least expensive private higher education institutions in Pennsylvania and in the nation.
- We are one of the first colleges to have ever offered degrees to women.
- The Waynesburg College vs. Fordham Football game was the first televised football game in the nation.
- Every break, we offer at least two international and two domestic mission service trips to places such as Africa, Ireland, Guatemala and Jamaica – that's approximately 15 each year.
Where We've Been
Waynesburg University has come a long way since our 1849 founding, but we've never strayed from our mission and our purpose. We've expanded our historic campus into a thriving, beautiful community for young scholars to engage with experienced faculty, dedicated staff and of course, each other. We've developed relationships and partnerships with international universities, industry leaders, politicians and more, all of which offer our students the opportunity to excel. We've stayed the course with a consistent emphasis on rigorous academics and servant leadership, all while upholding our faith.
Named for the Revolutionary War hero, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, Waynesburg University began as a strong vision and a pile of clay at the bottom of nearby Lake Juanita. In April of 1849, the Pennsylvania Presbytery established a committee to found a new college and chose Waynesburg, Pa., as its location.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania chartered Waynesburg College March 25, 1850. Students, who took the first Waynesburg University classes in the old Hayes Building at the corner of High and Washington streets in Waynesburg, envisioned a dignified campus building to facilitate academic pursuits.
They created more than 803,000 bricks by hand using clay deposits from a lake in Fountain Park to build Miller Hall, an administrative building still home to offices and classrooms. Their fingerprints are still visible in the bricks today. Named for A.B. Miller, past president of Waynesburg University, Miller Hall and adjacent Hanna Hall both reside on the National Registry for Historic Buildings.
Since Miller Hall was built, we've expanded our facilities to include a student center, a number of academic buildings, a performing arts center, a criminal justice house, five underclassmen and five upperclassmen residence halls, a marine biology lab, a state of the art fitness center, administrative facilities, Roberts Chapel and much more.
We continue to employ faculty and staff who embody the values and perspectives of the Christian faith. We invest in our students' growth by providing them with hands-on opportunities beginning freshman year and we develop opportunities for them to learn through service, both domestically and abroad.
Today, Waynesburg University celebrates more than 165 years of fulfilled purpose. Our tradition of preparing students for lives of Christian service continues undiminished.