Chad Sherman, assistant professor of communication at Waynesburg University, will lead nine University students to Jackson, Miss., from Saturday, May 10, to Saturday, May 17, to partner with the John M. Perkins Foundation for a week of service at the Spencer Perkins Center. The center’s mission is to train and equip a new generation of indigenous leaders who are driven by the love of God to pass on the torch of reconciliation, community and youth development in West Jackson.
“I hope the students have the opportunity to spread the Christian mission of Waynesburg University while helping a great organization,” Sherman said. “I also hope they learn about Christian community development – something that Dr. John Perkins will provide a lot of valuable insights about. Hopefully, they’ll take back a better understanding of how they can help spread the teachings of Christ to their local communities.”
The group will work on various building projects in one of the poorest cities in the United States. Students will study racial reconciliation and community development issues with Dr. John M. Perkins about an area that has a history of racial segregation and large scale poverty.
Students participating in the mission trip include:
- Charles Cook, a sophomore pre-med major from Cheswick, Pa.( Twentynine Palms High School)
- Joshuah Dains, a junior business management major from Clarksville, Pa.(Jefferson Morgan High School)
- Kristen Sniezek, a sophomore nursing major from Moon Township, Pa. (Moon Area High School)
- Mary Hoffman, a sophomore secondary education major from Butler, Pa. (Butler Area Senior High School)
- Rachel Wilson, a sophomore undeclared major from Lower Burrell, Pa. (Burrell High School)
- Shonah Russell, a junior education major from Sabattus, Maine (Northern High School)
- SiReno Mattie, a senior creative writing major from Rices Landing, Pa. (Jefferson Morgan High School)
- Stephanie Tress, a sophomore forensic science major from McMurray, Pa. (Canon-McMillan High School)
- Victoria Berggren, a sophomore nursing major from Lower Burrell, Pa. (Burrell High School
# # #
Contact: Ashley Wise, Communication Specialist
724.852.7675 or firstname.lastname@example.org