Waynesburg University’s Gamma Sigma Epsilon Chapter, Rho Iota, inducted 11 new students this past semester.
“The Waynesburg University GSE Chapter has been growing and working in conjunction with the ACS [American Chemical Society] Student Chapter to raise awareness of the importance of chemistry in everyday life,” said, Dr. Heidi Fletcher, associate professor of chemistry.
The national chemistry honor society, Gamma Sigma Epsilon, promotes academic excellence and provides undergraduate research scholarships in chemistry. Requirements for acceptance into GSE include an overall 3.0 GPA in chemistry, completion of CHE 212 and at least 16 credits of chemistry coursework.
The following students were recently inducted:
- Jodie Benitez, senior biology (pre-dental/medical/pharmacy/veterinary) major from Stanton Island, New York
- Samantha Boni, senior forensic science major from Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
- Haley Ferricks, senior chemistry-secondary education major from Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
- Andrew Gordon, junior chemistry major from Strongsville, Ohio
- Grace Hogue, senior biology major (pre-dental/medical/pharmacy/veterinary) major from Knox, Pennsylvania
- Elena McDermont, senior environmental science major from Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania
- Gabrielle Muilenberg, senior biology major from Carmichaels, Pennsylvania
- Alexis Phillips, senior biology (pre-dental/medical/pharmacy/veterinary) major from New Kensington, Pennsylvania
- Alexandra Reineck, senior biology (pre-dental/medical/pharmacy/veterinary) major from Stafford, Virginia
- Paige Smith, senior chemistry major from Washington, Pennsylvania
- Alexander Wees, junior biology major from Irwin, Pennsylvania
Waynesburg’s GSE Chapter also announced the recipients of the Delap-Holcomb Scholarship and the Roy W. Sonntag Award.
The Delap-Holcomb Scholarship was awarded to the top three senior GSE members based on the highest chemistry GPA. The recipients were Jodie Benitez, Heather Allaman and Kimberly Taylor.
The Roy W. Sonntag Award was given as an honorable mention award to juniors and seniors. The recipients were juniors Andrew Gordon and Alexander Wees, and senior Grace Hogue.
For more information, contact Dr. Fletcher at email@example.com or 724-852-3418.