Led by Pat Bristor, associate dean of students, and Ryan Smith, assistant director of student activities, 16 Waynesburg University students are currently traveling to Guatemala for a service trip from through Wednesday, May 22.
Students will work in a hospital and at an orphanage, which the University visits every year. This year, students will build a dome over the children’s play area at the orphanage, as well as clean and paint in both locations. Also, for the first year ever, students will teach English to children in local public schools.
“This is a life-changing trip,” said Bristor. “Seeing how others live and realizing the abundance and waste that we have in our society is eye-opening.”
Students attending the Guatemala service trip include:
- Briana Armenia, sophomore sociology major from Odessa, Florida (J.W. Mitchell High School)
- Nic Burgess, junior nursing major from Uniontown, Pennsylvania (Uniontown Area High School)
- Isabella Cantafio, senior nursing major from Gibsonia, Pennsylvania (Pine-Richland High School)
- Marybeth Cocchi, senior nursing major from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Mount Lebanon High School)
- Jennifer Ejiofor, nursing major from Burlington Township, New Jersey (Burlington Township High School)
- Michelle Harris, senior human services major from Rostraver Township, Pennsylvania (Belle Vernon Area High School)
- Grace Hogue, sophomore biology major from Knox, Pennsylvania (Keystone Junior-Senior High School)
- Michelle Keith, senior middle-level education major from Rochester, Pennsylvania (Freedom Area High School)
- Sarah Knapp, senior Biblical and ministry studies major from Millerton, New York (Upton Lake Christian School)
- Megan McElligott, sophomore psychology major from Waynesburg, Pennsylvania (Waynesburg Central High School)
- Steven Perroz, junior engineering mathematics major from Tarentum, Pennsylvania (Deer Lakes High School)
- Alexis Phillips, sophomore biology major from New Kensington, Pennsylvania (Plum Senior High School)
- David Shannon, sophomore nursing major from Greenville, Pennsylvania (Greenville Senior High School)
- Zachery Simcic, junior nursing major from Springdale, Pennsylvania (Springdale High School)
- Julie Sipes, senior nursing major from Greencastle, Pennsylvania (Home School)
- Riley Yoder, sophomore early childhood education with special education major from Lancaster, Ohio (William V. Fisher Catholic High School)
Faith, Learning and Service Immersion Trips
To learn more about current and future service trips, click on the link below or reach to Kelley Hardie, assistant dean of students, at email@example.com.