Seven Waynesburg University students will travel to the Dominican Republic to work with the organization, Wine to Water, during Spring Break. Led by Genna Steele, academic projects and grant coordinator, and Stacey Brodak, vice president for Institutional Advancement and University Relations, the group will leave Saturday, March 2, and return Saturday, March 9.
Wine to Water provides safe drinking water to communities that do not otherwise have access to it, by providing different water systems specific to each location. Waynesburg University students will build ceramic water filters from scratch, distribute them house to house and conduct follow-ups with families that have already received filters.
Steele said she is excited to make a difference in the lives of families, and she is grateful to be a part of a “service-conscious institution” whose reach goes well beyond U.S. borders.
“I am looking forward to contributing my small part in helping families receive access to safe drinking water,” Steele said. “It amazes me that so many people in the world still lack access to one of life’s basic needs—safe drinking water.”
- Meredith Emmart, sophomore criminal justice administration major from Mechanicsville, Maryland (Saint Mary’s Ryken High School)
- Olivia Hedge, sophomore athletic training major from Newton Falls, Ohio (Newton Falls High School)
- Marco Herrera, sophomore athletic training major from Fort Lee, New Jersey (Fort Lee High School)
- Thomas Hyland, sophomore criminal justice administration major from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Plum Senior High School)
- Rebekah Mohnkern, junior nursing major from Petersburg, Pennsylvania (Home School)
- Dylan Nowakowski, sophomore business management major from Bridgeport, Ohio (Bridgeport High School)
- Isaiah Skeete, sophomore criminal justice administration major from Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania (Wilson High School)
Faith, Learning and Service Immersion Trips
To learn more about current and future service trips, click on the link below or reach to Kelley Hardie, assistant dean of students, at firstname.lastname@example.org.