Through a blend of lectures and laboratory work, you’ll learn how to inspire an enthusiasm about science and lead students through laboratory curriculum of your own.
This option of study is for students who want to earn certification to teach chemistry at the secondary level (grades 7 through 12). You’ll take a comprehensive list of biology, chemistry, education, English, mathematics, and physics courses and begin education-related coursework and field experiences as early as freshman year.
Upon successful completion of the program, you’ll earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry. By completing the education program, including student teaching, and passing the required certification exams, you will be eligible to apply for your Pennsylvania 7-12 Chemistry teaching certificate.
Learn in state-of-the-art facilities
The Stewart Science building is a five-story complex that houses several science departments, and is home to newly renovated chemistry laboratories. The labs contain suites of advanced, modern equipment that all students have direct access to, where you can learn to troubleshoot and work independently. Our curriculum and laboratory program have been approved by the American Chemical Society for over 50 years. The ACS is the world leader in chemical development.
Get involved to apply knowledge
All Chemistry students have many opportunities to get involved in events, camps, labs, and organizations to enhance your research, networking, speaking experience, and more. Each of our faculty members runs an active research program that you can join, encompassing topics ranging from traditional chemical analysis to chemical education research. STEAM Camp, the Haunted Lab in October, and monthly Home School Labs are among some campus events to enhance your experience.
Make connections that matter
Recognized as one of the most active chapters in the country for the past nine years, the Waynesburg University American Chemical Society Student Chapter enables you to make significant connections for your future professional life. In addition, each month our students can attend the Society of Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh meeting to network with area professionals. Many of our students have made great contacts and found jobs through this experience.
Begin hands-on teaching early
All Education students also have the immense, unique opportunity to begin hands-on teaching experience as early as freshman year. While in pursuit of your secondary certification through education-related coursework, you'll also start field experiences in your first year, adding to the breadth of your educational experience and deepening your real-world knowledge.
The Chemistry Education majors at Waynesburg University are an official "Approved Chemistry Program" as determined by the American Chemical Society.
As a chemistry education student, you'll have countless opportunities to work with our student chapter of ACS.
Student Outcomes for Chemical Education
- Develop a strong, well-rounded foundation in analytical, organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry and biochemistry, while learning to understand the connections between these areas.
- Learn to reason analytically, applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills, to confidently approach questions as a scientist.
- Gain practical and functional hands-on experience of commonly used instrumentation with an emphasis on interpretation of results, trouble-shooting, and understanding the underlying theories of operation.
- Participate in research experiences that promote independent learning, build literature skills, develop creative thinking, and highlight the design and execution of novel experiments.
- Develop superior communication skills through focused practice in writing lab reports, technical papers, oral presentations, and critically analyzing scientific articles.
- Recognize, appreciate, and implement standard laboratory safety procedures, considering environmental concerns and acting in an ethical, professional, and responsible fashion.
- Have the opportunity to integrate their studies of chemistry with the University’s mission of faith, learning, and service by participating in departmental activities and student organizations.
View the academic catalog to further explore the curriculum.
Alumni and Student Testimonials
I am a more confident person and student due to the skills and techniques I've learned during my time here. Class sizes are small, giving students a better chance for hands-on experiences in labs and interactions with professors and other students.
Katie Jones, Class of 2020
The Department of Education at Waynesburg University offers teacher preparation programs for elementary, elementary/middle, and secondary education which are approved by Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).