Department of Fine Arts
The objectives of the program are:
- to expose the student to the creative process; to provide the student with practical experience in using the tools and techniques of the visual artist;
- to develop within the individual an awareness of self, his or her own culture, and the culture of others;
- to create opportunities for the student to progress according to his or her abilities;
- to provide opportunities for the mature student to experiment and work freely after mastering basic skills so that he or she will feel a degree of responsibility for self-initiated actions before leaving the protective environment of the classroom;
- to develop the student’s creativity and guide him or her in a search for meaningful content; and
- to prepare students for graduate studies.
Each incoming student, freshman or transfer, who wishes to pursue the Art Degree must:
- Attend and staff events coordinated through the Waynesburg University Fine Arts Department, Gallery receptions, Artist lectures, Performances, and Presentations,
- Prepare on campus or off campus art exhibitions working in conjunction with department representatives including Gallery set-up and tear-down of the Benedum Art Gallery, and
- Build and collect an ongoing portfolio of personal art work made in and out of classes.